I'd like to thank the shoe gods for a very interesting trend I've noticed recently... the intersection of whimsical and practical footwear. I know, I can barely believe it as I type.
Summer has always been synonymous with sandals but recently I've had it with up-to-there-gladiators pinching my skin, excessive buckles and the need for biweekly pedicures. You might have detected the beginning of my rant in yesterday's outfit of the day post.
It seems that shoe designers have taken note; there's a plethora of fab flats and espadrilles on the shelves today. Which means there's no longer any excuse for those plastic thongs. Behold some of my favorite (comfortable!) picks for the warmer months.
Let's discuss. I'll start with the left column and make my way to the bottom right (those gorgeous bronze lace babies... save the best for last).
1. Soludos rainbow ombré espadrilles - the sweet pastel shades work as a great neutral either by blending in with brighter shades or adding a bit of interest to an all-white ensemble, I'm thinking the Bettie blouse in Stark Naked White with some ultra light jeans.
2. Stella McCartney mesh flats - this hot pink looks so good on tanned ankles while the mesh tones it down a bit.
3. TOMS canvas espadrilles - I love the fact that we've managed to find a pair that's both black and summery. The vintage print is a nice nod to 90s surf culture, I could see this looking great with a graphic tee.
4. Soludos LaLesso print espadrilles - there aren't too many instances where I don't love a good insect print. This graphic beetle pair is no exception, it's just a little off beat and perfect for hitting the beach. I'd wear them with Itsie Bitsie's Ariel bikini and not much else.
5. Michael Kors Meg striped espadrille flat - stripes, rope AND a tan leather trim? That's basically the nautical prep-style trifecta. Go overboard (see what I did there?) with a blue or green shirt and crisp white bottoms for guaranteed admission into any yacht club.
6. Sperry top-sider Lola skimmer - another nice way to work black and gray into a summer wardrobe.
7. MM6 neon oxfords - if Stella's hot pink is too tame, up your game with these oxfords. They'll be totally charming with a short A-line skater skirt and a little unexpected with a cute pair of shorts.
8. Penelope Chilves printed canvas espadrille - I can't help but smile when I look at these flats. They remind me of laundry detergent, mattress and mint bubble gum ads. So fresh and comfortable I could fall asleep in them.
9. Valentino Rockstud patent leather flats - I know there's an ankle strap. It's just hard for me to get through an entire accessories post without including some Valentino. I love that these are a little girly and edgy at the same time plus you can totally wear them through fall. So... there.
10. Vans classic mint sneakers - classic indeed. These are the type of shoes that look good on just about everyone (even the husband's been wearing a mighty similar pair). This mint color just begs to be worn all summer long.
11. B Brian Atwood Hardesty jeweled espadrilles - I love the red and turquoise color pairing. I see these working well for those long days in August where you still have to look cute at a luncheon. Comfort plus bling by Brian Atwood. What more could we want?
12. TOMS crochet espadrilles - if you don't have them already, just go ahead and buy these now (I'll wait). These are the type of shoes you'll need to replace every 6 weeks or so because you've Worn. Them. Out.
13. Jimmy Choo Whirl cork ballerina flat - these have recently made their way into my closet and let me tell you, it's love. The gold works with almost everything in my summer wardrobe white the cork tones it down a bit. They're just begging to be worn with the Pinup Queen green silk shirt.
14. Zara espadrille slip on - the black and white trend shows no sign of slowing down. These will work great with anything from a printed tee to a graphic bikini.
15. B Brian Atwood Hartwell encrusted suede espadrilles - between the mixed prints, suede and beading there's a lot going on here. I'll file these under so crazy they just might work.
16. Valentino lace espadrilles - how sweet are these babies? The lace is adorable and elevated by the rich gold tone. Perfection!
From Zara to Valentino, there's my roundup of sweet summer slip-ons. What will you be wearing?